Plano, Texas is a vibrant city located in the state of Texas, United States. With a population of over 300,000 residents, it is one of the largest cities in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. Plano is known for its thriving economy, excellent schools, diverse community, and high quality of life, making it a highly desirable place to live, work, and play.
Things To Do in Plano, Texas
- Explore the Heritage Farmstead Museum: Step back in time at this living history museum, which showcases the agricultural heritage of Plano. Take a guided tour of the historic farmhouse, barns, and gardens to learn about the region’s early farming days and the daily life of a Texas farm family.
- Have family fun at the Crayola Experience: Located in The Shops at Willow Bend, this interactive attraction offers a colorful world of creativity for kids and adults alike. Engage in hands-on activities, create unique art pieces, and immerse yourself in the world of Crayola.
- Discover the Interurban Railway Museum: Learn about the history of the Texas Electric Railway at this fascinating museum. Housed in a restored railway station, the museum showcases exhibits and artifacts that highlight the impact of the railway on the development of Plano and the surrounding area.
Notable Residents in Plano, Texas
- Chace Crawford, known for his role as Nate Archibald on the TV series “Gossip Girl,” spent a significant part of his early life in Plano. During that time, his father operated a dermatology practice.
- John Benjamin Hickey, an acclaimed actor, has made appearances on numerous popular primetime television shows. He was born and raised in Plano and attended Plano Senior High School.
- Brad Hawkins, who has dabbled in country music, martial arts, and film, is also an alumnus of Plano Senior High School. Afterward, he relocated to Nashville, Tennessee, to pursue a career in music.
Interesting / Fun Fact About Plano, Texas
- The Corporate Center of Texas: boasts a multitude of major corporate headquarters representing diverse industries, ranging from consumer electronics and food and beverage to software development and retail. This concentration of corporate presence solidifies Plano’s reputation as a thriving hub for business and underscores the city’s remarkable economic prosperity.
- Best Place to Live in the United States: In 2006, Plano, Texas was recognized as one of the best places to live in the United States by CNN Money magazine, ranking 11th out of the top 100 cities. The magazine praised Plano for its low crime rate, excellent schools, and abundance of job opportunities, making it an ideal place to live and raise a family.
- The Wealthiest City in the United States: According to CNN Money and the United States Census Bureau, Plano, Texas holds the distinction of being the wealthiest city in the United States. The Census Bureau bestowed this title upon Plano in 2008, a recognition it has maintained ever since.
Public Transportation in Plano, Texas
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART): Plano is served by the DART system, which provides light rail and bus services. The light rail system connects Plano to downtown Dallas and other nearby cities. The Red Line runs through Plano, with several stations including Downtown Plano, Parker Road, and Bush Turnpike.
- Bus Services: DART also operates bus routes in Plano, offering a comprehensive network of bus lines that serve various neighborhoods and destinations within the city. These buses provide connections to major transit hubs, shopping centers, educational institutions, and employment areas.
- Park and Ride Facilities: Plano has Park and Ride facilities that allow commuters to park their vehicles and use public transportation for their daily commute. These facilities provide convenient access to the DART rail stations and bus stops, reducing traffic congestion and promoting sustainable transportation options.